Hi, and thank you for visiting my site, Change Your Story.
I’m a huge music fan so, to quote the great, and very sadly departed, Prince, I’m gonna show you what it’s all about…
…and Change Your Story was born out of a period of significant change in my life, following divorce and ongoing struggles with my mental health.
In December 2015, I felt a compulsion to write about what I was going through, with the aim of helping me to process it all, and to hopefully help others going through similar challenges.
I had never written before and had no idea where the urge came from – nor where it would lead to…
Sharing my story changed my life in so many unexpected ways:
- I became a published author (twice! Including a collection of poetry – I never saw that one coming!)
- I became an active campaigner for mental health, leading to
- appearing in a feature on ITV’s Lorraine with Louie Spence (about as random as it gets!)
- featuring in an awareness video with a Great British Bake Off winner, and a Hollywood actress (seriously, things like this don’t happen to a bloke from Middlesbrough!)
- I left my job and started my own business (something I would never have dreamed of at the start of all of this).
The Power of Our Stories
Telling my story taught me so much. In particular, it taught me about the stories I told myself, and this lead to the development of my unique approach to helping others.
We are the stories we tell ourselves – about who were are, about our place and purpose in the world, and about the events and circumstances of our life.
Our life is our story, and I believe the quality of our lives reflects the collection of stories we hold about ourselves and about life.
I help people to build new – and better – lives, by helping them to better understand their stories, and to reframe the story where the narratives they hold are not serving them.
I am particularly passionate about using my experience to help people who have struggled with their mental health, and are seeking to better understand themselves and to live a more purposeful life.
We can all change our stories, and in doing so we can change our lives.
My personal struggles, and the strength I have found in overcoming them, have shaped my beliefs.
- I believe that our stories contain immense power to connect us and to inspire each other
- I believe that everyone has a story to tell
- I believe that we are capable of far more than we believe possible
- I believe that the worst things that happen to us can lead directly to the very best
- I believe that it is our task in life to discover, to our fullest ability, who we are, what our purpose is, and to have the courage to build a life around our purpose for the good of others.
I hope that I can inspire you on your journey.
Very best wishes
Read about my appearance with Louie Spence on Lorraine here
Read about my taste of Hollywood – and watch the video – here